So, you’ve invested in a shiny, new dental implant (or several new implants) and you’re looking forward to a lifelong relationship with your brand new teeth. To protect your investment, you’ll need to keep in touch with a Henderson NV dentist, but you’ll also need to follow these simple tips between dental appointments.
- The Right Toothpaste. Dental implants can’t get cavities, but they can be affected by the health of the neighboring, natural teeth. To keep your natural teeth free from cavities and plaque bacteria, look for ingredients like Triclosan and fluoride on the toothpaste package.
- The Best Toothbrush. It is certainly possible to clean your teeth and gums with a manual toothbrush, but a high-quality power toothbrush could help you to brush more thoroughly. Power brushes also provide the gentle stimulation that the gums need to stay healthy—especially around an implant.
- Floss. Keep the tissue around your implants (and your natural teeth) clean and healthy by flossing at least once every day. This is the only way to adequately remove plaque and reduce harmful inflammation.
- Rinse. Reduce the oral bacteria that could harm your implant by rinsing with an antimicrobial mouthwash like chlorhexidine gluconate. This powerful rinse may be prescribed by your dentist to aid in the healing process in the days or weeks following the placement of your dental implants.
- Schedule a checkup. It’s important to get your dental implants checked out by the dentist at least twice a year. A clinical examination and digital x-rays are essential to ensuring that your implants are in top condition.
Maintaining your dental implants is not much different than maintaining your natural teeth. Be good to your teeth and they will be good to you. For more information on dental implant care, contact a Henderson NV dentist today.